My my. It sure has been awhile since I've posted on here (almost four months... I just counted on my fingers). Mostly because there hasn't been much going on on my end. The research team in Japan, on the other hand has been hard at work, even though the trail seemed to have gone cold awhile ago. But it's like OBON 2015 told me on multiple occasions: These guys won't stop; so don't lose hope. And they most certainly didn't stop, because tonight OBON 2015 informed me that they found Sukio's wife and his daughter. That's all the information I have to go off at the moment, but as more details emerge, I will be sure to post them. So thank you OBON 2015 and to all the members of your team for everything you have done! 

In the mean time, I have one other thing to share. I should have shared it a few weeks ago, but I have been busy and may or may not have procrastinated on top of that. At the beginning of August a reporter from The Tokyo Shimbun (a Japanese newspaper) interviewed me over the phone about Sukio's flag. Actually, it was his wife, because the man didn't speak English. Then, a few weeks later two wonderful reporters (Mr. Michio Yoshieda and Ms. Alexandra McCullough) from The Tokyo Shimbun's New York branch flew in and interviewed me at my apartment and took some photos of me with some of my military accoutrements. Shortly thereafter they ran the story below (on the right of the red line). 

You may be wondering why this newspaper interviewed me and ran this story. That's a good question. Each year, around the anniversary of the end of WW II in Japan, the newspaper features stories on the subject. It's much like how we run similar stories around the anniversaries of significant events in our country, commemorative and whatnot. But the stories also serve as a history lesson to educate the younger generations who might feel removed from the events due to the generational divides.

This year the newspaper was featuring stories of Americans who have returned the flags through OBON 2015 and those families that have received the flags. When the story ran, Sukio's family hadn't been found yet, but the newspaper thought my military service added an interesting angle on the story, which is why they interviewed me. I don't have an English transcript of the news article, but when I receive it, I will post it. 

In the mean time, thank you again to OBON 2015 and all of your team. My family can't thank you enough for all of your hard work. And for everyone else, I will be posting more as soon as details emerge. 

NOTE: I was informed that I had one or two details wrong. The newspaper did interview a few Americans for their stories, but most of their stories were about the Japanese side of the flags' journeys, including those who signed the flags and those who helped locate family members of the flags' original owners.